Thursday, March 21, 2013

The NCAA Tournament

Well the time of the year has come again where people come together from all over the US to cheer on their favorite teams or maybe just their favorite underdogs that they have temporarily jumped on the bandwagon for. Either way for the next couple weeks, millions of people will tune into their local channels to watch "their" teams! I my friends am no exception to the rule. In fact this year I have done as much to organize my own all women's pool.

The tournament did get me thinking and searching. I knew and still know very little about the NCAA tournament but I did find out a little. The tournament got started officially in 1939 by The National Association of Basketball Coaches. More directly an idea that stemmed from Ohio States head coach Harold Olsen. The tournament we know as "March Madness" didn't start until 1984 though. This is the celebration most of us have become accustomed to.

UCLA holds the most titles in history for the NCAA tournament with 11, 10 of those during the coaching years of John Wooden. The University of Kentucky follows them with 8. This year there are 68 teams participating in the tournament. So to all those who have filled out a bracket, Happy March Madness! Best of Luck and Go Underdogs!